Why this sermon?
1. Our culture is clueless on sex. We only get a small part of it.
2. Too often the only people talking about sex are the wrong people. Proverbs 29:18
To parents: if you aren’t talking about sex with your kids then your kids have no option but to believe what others tell them.
3. Because we humans resist hearing truth that goes against our grain.
4. Because we have reduced the true beauty of sexuality to a poor copy of its original design. We have made sex about a moment or a feeling.
5. Because this year at 29:11 we aren’t talking about what we can get by with. We are talking about the dream, what’s best, amazing and fulfilling!
So, what does the church say?
“Church of England Affirms Sex is Only for Heterosexual Marriage”
Truth is perceived differently by those who are being made free by the truth and those who reject the truth!
What does the Bible say? A whole lot!
A few more scriptures: 1 Corinthians 6:16, Hebrews 13:4, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7, Matthew 5:28, Ephesians 5:3, Job 31:1, James 1:14-15
What does secular study say?
“So, just having sex, in the absence of a thriving relationship, is unlikely to be very pleasurable, nor will it translate into increased marital satisfaction over time; actually, it could diminish it.”
“A sustaining, energized sexual relationship is a product of an integration of multiple facets. It grows over time from being in sync with each other’s values and outlook; your desires and fears about your journey together; your life goals, both individually and as a couple. Essentially, it’s a spiritual connection, a sense of being on the same wavelength. If that core grows, it will fuel a sustainable romantic connection…”
Douglas LaBier from Psychology Today noting a study on sex and relationships
Here’s what sex within a lifelong monogamous relationship will do:
- it will bond you closer
- it will create intimacy
- it will be physically, mentally and emotionally healthy
- it will feel safe
- it will produce longevity
“But what we’ve found is that when, prior to their marriage, one or both spouses hold generalized beliefs that uncommitted sex is okay, that can contribute to the failure of a marriage.” Juliana French
This is about best!
“How to Get Free From Porn” by John Bevere
John Bevere’s message: “Killing Kryptonite: Destroy What Steals Your Strength”