Let’s begin with the scripture that describes what a church building is supposed to look like.
God gave specifics on the ark Noah built, Genesis 6:14-18,
the tabernacle during Moses’ day, Exodus 26,
the temple Solomon built, Exodus 25:10-22,
even the ark of the covenant, 1 Chronicles 28:19.
But nothing about a church building!
- ekklesia was the word Jesus used for the church in Matthew 16:18 which means a gathering or assembly
- kirche began to be used in Europe, sometime around the 4th century, emphasizing a building, denoting a place for Christian worship
The church is not a building. It might meet in a building, but isn’t limited to buildings for worship.
The building is nothing more than a tool.
– It is not the holy of holies.
– It is not more holy than a civic center.
– It is not venerable.
– It is not to be idolized, honored nor receive our undying devotion.
– It does not need protection from other activities.
It’s just a building!
What makes a building special is the way the building is used by the church!
How 29:11 will utilize this building…