Moral compass – Without something pointing us north (like we need to be pointed toward God) our focus becomes inner, self focused. So whatever makes me happy is best, right, acceptable.
Without a moral compass we can justify anything.
My greatest concern with pastoring an independent church…
Jesus had that moral compass. John 7:16-18
This isn’t a mere call to follow Jesus better just for the sake of obedience. It’s also encouragement, mentoring, pastoring, to say if we want to have impact like Jesus then let’s stop doing it our way and try doing it His!
Three truths about Jesus and personal interactions:
- Jesus was only rude to a very few people.
- Jesus wasn’t rude to people just because they disagreed with Him.
- Jesus was rude to those who were supposed to be leaders but were breaking the law.
If my religion tells me to be rude, attack verbally, etc, it’s probably not Jesus’ religion.
We often must decide if we want people to hear our personal message or our Jesus message. Because they usually won’t listen to both.
Look at IMPACT Jesus’ way. Not political, no personal axe to grind. Some great examples are John 7:15, 46, Matt 7:28, 13:54, 22:33, Luke 2:47, 4:22, 32, Mark 1:22, 6:2
What was so amazingly different?
Living water, the Spirit, for those thirsty, John 7:37-39
Parables of two sons, evil farmers, the great feast – a common moral that it’s not what you say but what you do! Matt 21-22
Yet Matthew 7 is the best insight into what amazed so many people:
- Don’t judge others
- Be careful finding fault with others while ignoring your own faults!
- Don’t waste your efforts where you know they won’t be received!
- Keep on asking & receive… seeking & find… knocking & doors will open
- God wants to give good gifts
- The Golden Rule
- The path to eternal life takes effort, as opposed to the path to death
- Be careful who you listen to
- Activity is not enough, not the goal, but doing God’s will is
Jesus’ teaching, His way, is a rock to build your life upon. Our religion is shifting sand!
When we share our God-given passion with Jesus’ words and in His way, lives and hearts are changed!
Jesus has given me passion AND direction on how to share it!