The story of Nadab & Abihu
- Their father Aaron was Moses’ brother & the first priest of Israel!
- Called by God to the top of Sinai, by name! Exodus 24:1, 11
- Priest #2 and #3! Exodus 28:1
- But the most notorious part of their story is their death! Leviticus 10:1
The story of Hophni & Phinehas
- Sons of Eli the High Priest. 1 Samuel 1:3
- But they were scoundrels. 1 Samuel 2:12
- Took their choice of meat from the sacrifices 1 Samuel 2:15
- Had sexual relations with women serving at the sanctuary. 1 Samuel 2:22
- Went into battle with the ark to force God’s hand to fight for Israel. 1 Samuel 4:4
- Died on the same day, in the same battle. 1 Samuel 4:11
They received a lot of grace! God gives us direction, warnings, etc, but allows us to choose our path.
“The truth about grace might seem positive at first glance, but in order to embrace it, we have to come to terms with our need for it. And that means acknowledging our own depravity.”
The truth: God is holy and without Him we are depraved, corrupt and immoral
Three hard, incontrovertible facts
1 Corinthians 10:13
2 Timothy 1:12
So why does God seem so different in the Old Testament than He is in the New Testament?